Visit - the online dating website for Nurses



Nurses... we need you Down Under

Australia - how to get here

There are 3 ways you can live and work in Australia, with many visa options:

  1. Permanent Migration - as a Skilled Migrant

  2. Temporary Migration - for those who wish to improve their skills or experience

  3. Working Holiday - for those Registered Nurses 18-30 years old

We have a partner in Australia, Australian Migration and Visa Agents (AMVA) - they are introduced further down the page.

Why Australia?

Nursing in Australia has its plus points!!Australia has a lot going for it, the climate - the fantastic blue skies, the sunshine, the cold beer, the excellent wine and food, and the white sandy beaches. Life doesn’t get much better!

We are a cultural melting pot - since 1945 more than six million people from across the world have come to Australia to live. Today, more than 20 per cent of Australians are foreign born and more than 40 per cent are of mixed cultural origin No matter what your background you will feel welcome here.

Australia is the sixth largest country in the world. It's about the same size as the 48 mainland states of the USA and 50 per cent larger than Europe, but has the lowest population density in the world - only two people per square kilometre.

Australia’s coastline stretches almost 50,000 kilometres and is linked by over 10,000 beaches, more than any other country in the world. More than 85 per cent of Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast, making it an integral part of our laid-back lifestyle.

Nursing – Visas, Immigration and You

Nurses are currently in high demand in Australia. There are excellent career opportunities with permanent and temporary work available in Australia.

Whether you have a high level of skills and experience or need to gain additional skills, there is a visa to suit you. There are excellent career opportunities with permanent and temporary work available in Australia. You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for a visa to work as a nurse.

There is a serious shortage of Registered Nurses (in all fields) in Australia

Permanent and Temporary Visa Options for Nurses

Skilled Migration

Nurse on the wardNurses may be able to migrate to Australia as skilled migrants.

Since 1 July 2012 new independent and sponsored skilled visas are available. The Australian visa system, however, is complex and you should seek professional help.

Working Holidays

If you are between 18 and 30, you may be able to come to Australia temporarily for a working holiday.

For Nurses, this visa allows you to stay for 12 months and work as a nurse with any one employer for a maximum of six months, provided your work remains incidental to your holidays. Again, you should seek professional advice before applying for these visas or for a job on one of these visas.

Improving your Skills

Nurses who do not have the qualifications to work as a nurse in Australia can do a bridging program to improve their skills. There are some temporary visa options available for you to do this.

Training and Research Visa

For nurses to undertake a supervised, workplace-based training program in Australia. This option is good for training programs of three months or longer.

Nurses Sponsored by an Employer

Temporary Employment Visa (subclass 457)

This is usually used for Registered Nurses to work in Australia for an approved business sponsor, for up to four years. Your accompanying family members can work and study in Australia.

Employer Nomination Scheme

Overseas nurses under 50 years of age, with qualifications and work experience as a registered nurse, may be eligible for a permanent visa under this scheme. As the name suggests you require employer nomination for this visa.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

Overseas nurses younger than 50 years with qualifications equivalent to an Australian diploma level qualification (two years full-time study) or higher may be eligible for a permanent visa. Under this scheme, nurses will be sponsored by an Australian employer to work and live in regional Australia. The visa conditions include a mandatory 2 year contract with your employer.

Working in Australia

Skills Assessments/Registration

To work in Australia you must first have your qualifications assessed by the relevant authority and obtain registration with one of the state or territory nursing registration boards.

AMVA can assist you with detailed, often time consuming process.

English Language Requirements

Nurses must now demonstrate a proficiency in English before their skills assessment or visa can be granted. In other words, you must demonstrate that you meet the English language threshold. This means that you must already have your English language test results before you lodge your application visa.

Proof of English language proficiency is required by taking either the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Occupational English Test (OET).

Which English Language Test Should I Sit?

Generally, you will be required to sit the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test to assess your English language ability. Occupational English Test (OET) results may also be provided as evidence of your English language ability. AMVA can advise you further. You should not book English tests before you have obtained advice.

What is IELTS?

IELTS is a test designed to assess an applicant’s English language ability. It has an academic test and a general training test – applicants only need to take the general training test unless advised otherwise by a registration or licensing body.

IELTS examinations are available worldwide. Information on fees, available test dates and application forms are available on the IELTS website.


What is OET?

The Occupational English Test (OET) is a language test for overseas qualified health professionals. The Test assesses English language proficiency as it is used in medical and health professions. The OET is administered by the OET Centre seven times a year and in over 40 locations around the world.

The Test measures the language competency of health professionals who are seeking registration and the ability to practise in an English-speaking context. It is designed to ensure that language competency is assessed in a relevant professional context.


Why use AMVA?

Use a migration Agent to help you get to AustraliaYou cannot work as a Registered Nurse in Australia without first registering with one of the State or Territory Nursing Registration Boards.

AMVA can assist you in the Australian nursing registration process, as well as provide professional advice and assistance in your visa application – even if you have had no previous work experience.

AMVA are Australian Migration Lawyers with a comprehensive knowledge of migration law and practices. They are registered migrations agents and are aware of the changing migration environment and as such are able to provide information/ advice that is current.

Member of Migration Institute of AustraliaMigration can be costly and time consuming; AMVA will ensure that the process meets legislative requirements at the time of application. AMVA will walk you through the process from start to finish.

Dimity Jones, one of the lawyers at AMVA is a Registered Nurse with over 25 years experience in the professional health care field.

Settlement Assistance

Moving to a new city is both exciting and challenging and we understand what’s ahead of you. Carrying out effective groundwork really helps in making the powerful decisions that will assist in the overall success of your resettlement.

AMVA is a licensed on-seller of ™The Virtual Relocator Resource – a purpose-built platform that allows you to extensively research your chosen city based on your personal housing, education and lifestyle preferences so you can build contacts prior to both, departing for and settling in to Australia. It can assist with things like:

  • Recommending suburbs and schools etc

  • Introducing rental cost guides & available properties

  • Opening bank accounts

  • Exploring child care options

  • As well as answer the myriad of general relocation related questions you may have.

With every single Visa Application we process, you (and your family) automatically receive 6 months Settlement Support to the Australian city of your choice. And we don’t charge you anything extra.

YOU need 4 things:

  1. Australian Registration

  2. Australian VISA

  3. Australian job

  4. Settlement into Australia

Australian Employment

AMVA has links with many Australian agencies specialising in recruiting health care professionals. Should you require sponsorship or would like to arrange an interview with a prospective employer we are able to facilitate this process.

Specific Health Care Professional knowledge and experience

Where do you want to work? Once you have an idea of the State or Territory in which you wish to live/work, AMVA can then advise you on the specific requirements for that state/territory.

AMVA can walk you through this process and provide you with all the relevant information. Dimity Jones, one of our solicitors is not only a lawyer and Migration agent but also a Registered Nurse in Australia, and is therefore in a position to respond to all your questions and concerns.

The visa you chose should provide you with the avenue to achieve your long term goals, whether that is a working holiday, temporary residency or permanent residency.

Dimity Jones

Registered Migration Agent MARN 0744829
LLM, Grad Cert Aus Migration Law & Practice
Grad Dip PLT, Juris Doctor, BSW
BA Soc Science, RN (Psych)

Please email Dimity for more information on how Australian Migration and Visa Agents Pty. Ltd. can assist you:

Back to top

Visit - the online dating website for Nurses